About Tomaszów Mazowiecki
Tomaszów Mazowiecki is a town in central Poland with 67,159 inhabitants (2004). Situated in the Łódź Voivodeship (since 1999), it was previously part of Piotrków Trybunalski Voivodeship (1975–1998). Tomaszów occupies an area of 41.3km as of 2002.The town is situated on the banks of three rivers, the Pilica, Wolbórka, and Czarna Bielina, and is near the Zalew Sulejowski reservoir and the edge of the Puszcza Spalska wilderness Mazowiecki was granted the status of an industry and trade settlement in 1824, and was designated a city in 1830 during the November Uprising in Congress Poland against the Russian Empire. A year later the Jewish Qahal was founded.By 1931 the Jewish population of the city grew to 11,310 inhabitants, or about 30% of the general population of Tomaszów. During the Nazi-Soviet invasion of Poland of 1939 the city was overrun by Nazi Germany. Next month the Great Synagogue was burned to the ground as first on 16 October 1939; the remaining two synagogues were destroyed on 714 November. The Ghetto for the imprisonment of 16,500 Polish Jews was created in December 1940, and closed off from the outside in December 1941. Hunger was rampant, followed by the typhus epidemic. In December 1942 some 15,000 Jews were deported aboard Holocaust trains to Treblinka extermination camp. Some 200 Jews from Tomaszów are known to have survived World War II.